A hungry stomach can lead to an empty mind. Breakfast helps students be their best. Studies conclude that good nutrition leads to improved classroom performance, higher test scores, and better behavior.
BREAKFAST IMPROVES SCHOOL PERFORMANCE
Research confirms that breakfast eaters…
- Have higher test scores, work faster, and make fewer errors.
- Have better concentration and greater creativity.
- Are healthier and have improved attendance.
- Are more cooperative and get along better with classmates.
- Are less likely to be sent to the principal or visit the school nurse.
BREAKFAST SUPPLIES IMPORTANT NUTRIENTS
Breakfast contributes less than 20% of daily calories, while providing many key vitamins and minerals including:
- Vitamin D
- B vitamins
- Nutrients missed at breakfast are typically not made up during the day.
SCHOOL BREAKFAST IS A WIN-WIN FOR STUDENTS AND SCHOOLS
Well-nourished students are better prepared to learn and achieve in school, a win-win for students, teachers, and school districts. A successful school breakfast program also generates additional revenue for the school!
OPPORTUNITIES TO GROW SCHOOL BREAKFAST
Solutions to overcome barriers to school breakfast (such as busy schedules, lack of resources, and bus schedules) are not one-size-fits-all. Many schools have achieved success by changing to a new venue or offering a combination of breakfast options, such as:
- Breakfast in the Classroom
- Grab-and-Go Breakfast
- Second Chance Breakfast or Breakfast After First Period